Ham is always beautiful thing - but there's something especially special about a nice leftover ham bone.  Unless you're a compulsive ham eater ham bones only come around a couple times a year, and it's a big decision picking out the recipe to use it in.  A simple pot of beans is one of my favorites.

Here's my simple recipe for beans, if you've got one I recommend using a slow cooker - if not just simmer it away over a low stove.
Picture
Two bones, and some beans.
Ham Bone Beans
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 lb dried navy beans
  • 1 ham bone with plenty of meat
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Fry onions in a knob of butter until soft.  Add dry navy beans, ham bone, ketchup, water, brown sugar, maple syrup and smoked paprika.  Simmer over very low heat until beans are soft but not falling apart adding more water as needed, 3-5 hours.

Or, put everything in a slow cooker and cook on low.

Serves 4-6

Comments

Tristan Mills
05/17/2011 02:55

Sydney,

Beans are a focal point in many of of my favourite dishes. Baked beans being the ultimate! This one has me really excited as I've been experimenting on different way to deliver fat and flavour into the "bake". I often use a whole pork hock or strips of pork belly, ect. This recipe sounds like a ton of fun, I can't wait to try!

05/17/2011 03:03

Beans are amazing - I've got another recipe for pork roast with white beans and tomatillos I've been trying to sneak on here :)

06/20/2013 00:39

Thank you for the simple and great recipe. Like you, I am also very passionate about food. So this is very useful for me. From your description it is know that, it will not disappoint me. I will definitely try this. Good luck.

12/04/2013 20:46

I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things.

12/05/2013 19:06

I am glad to catch idea from your article. It has information I have been searching for a long time.

01/22/2014 01:05

Really cool website. I believe that we should all use our bikes so much more than we currently do. Not only will this benefit our own health but help save the planet.

01/28/2014 11:07

I would like to thank you for your nicely written content, its useful and your writing style helped me to read it without any difficulty. Thanks

01/30/2014 05:30

Fine information, many thanks to the author. It is puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and good luck!

I am quite pleased to have seen this blog, thank you so much for all the great information, I'll be glad to pass it on to my family and friends.

02/20/2014 03:23

I have enjoyed this article so much that I have read it multiple times and plan on coming back for any other articles you may publish.

04/14/2014 18:54

This article was quite interesting. I am going to read more on your blog. I do agree with everything you are saying.