After  spending the day with a large amount of serrano ham, I really needed something soothing to put in my belly.  There are a lot of things that I find soothing (rice flour rolls, hot toddy's, leftover roast beef, warm bread, all soups) but today it was a bowl of streamed broccoli topped with dried shrimp and sriracha with a simple garlic/ginger congee.
Picture
These dried shrimp are far more delicate than the last ones I used in congee, much smaller as well - almost translucent.  Far less toothy and fishy.  It's a little hard to see in the picture, but I love the little black eyes staring out from their pinkish translucent bodies.

Use 1/4 cup of rice and 1 cup of water, with 1 clove or diced garlic and 1 knob of mashed ginger to make a very simple, easy on the stomach congee.  Just bring everything to a simmer, cook until the rice is soft, and season with soy sauce and/or fish sauce . Then simply steam the broccoli and top with dried shrimp and a drizzle of sriracha.  A few shakes of sesame seeds are nice as well.

If anyone has a suggestion of what else to do with dried shrimp I'd love to hear them.

Comments

Mandy
12/08/2010 06:52

That looks awesome!

12/08/2010 12:39

It was awesome!

Janet
01/03/2011 12:31

another option for those small dried fish: steam them with pork. My mom makes it all the time and normally steams it along with the rice. The pork is seasoned with just soy sauce and a bit of cornstarch so that there is a nice sauce for the rice when it's done cooking.

01/03/2011 12:35

That sounds delicious! Do you steam the pork on the rice as well? Or is it cooked separately?

03/28/2011 19:39

The article is worth reading, I like it very much. I will keep your new articles.

Thanks for posting the recipe Broccoli with Dried Shrimp. As I love cooking I have always wanted to try out new recipe and this one will also be as delicious as the other that was posted in this site. I would like to thank the site owners for maintaining such beautiful site with never seen recipe.

10/18/2013 23:20

Good weblog! I seriously enjoy the way it's quick on my personal eye as well as truth is well crafted. I will be wanting to know generate income may be advised if a fresh submit has been produced. I've bought on your feed which really should have the desired effect! Have a very nice day time!

03/27/2014 23:57

I have a presentation next week,and I am on the look for such information.